Advertisement

Admission to go up at national parks on Hawaii's Big Island and Maui

Admission to go up at national parks on Hawaii's Big Island and Maui
Sparks rise from Kilauea volcano on Hawaii’s Big Island on April 26. Admission at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park will increase June 1. (U.S. Geological Survey)

Entrance fees at two of Hawaii's national parks will increase Monday, although the admission price remains modest compared with other attractions.

The increases will occur in stages at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island of Hawaii, where the Kilauea volcano is spewing lava, and at Haleakala National Park on Maui, a dormant volcanic crater.

Advertisement

Beginning June 1, the per-vehicle fee will increase from $10 to $15. It will climb to $20 in 2016 and $25 in 2017.

Motorcyclists will pay $10 starting June 1, $15 in 2016 and $20 in 2017.

Pedestrians and bicyclists will be charged $8 beginning next week, with increases to $10 next year and $12 in 2016.

Up until now, with one exception, camping at various sites within Hawaii Volcanoes National Park has been free. Now a fee of $10 per site per night will go into effect June 1.

Officials said the increases are in line with fees already charged at other national parks with similar amenities. The added revenue will help fund improvements in both parks, including a soon-to-open cultural museum at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.

National parks keep 80% of the fees collected. The remaining 20% helps fund other park units, such as national historic sites, which don't charge admission.

Follow us on Twitter at @latimestravel

Advertisement
Advertisement