WORLD

5,700 presumed dead in India's devastating floods

LUCKNOW, India  — More than 5,700 people missing since floods devastated northern India last month are being presumed dead, even as rescue officials struggle to bring aid to affected villages, top officials said Tuesday.

Vijay Bahuguna, the chief minister of the state of Uttarakhand, said the government would give $8,350 to the families of each person believed to have perished in the floods and landslides that hit the Himalayan region in June. The state declared those missing to be presumed dead so it could compensate their families, but Bahuguna said there was hope that some could still be found alive.

"The search for the missing persons will continue even after they are presumed dead," he said.

Families receiving compensation will have to return the money if their missing relatives are found alive.

The government had earlier put the death toll at 600 but repeatedly emphasized that it would be significantly higher. The exact number may never be known, Bahuguna said.

State Disaster Management Minister Yashpal Arya said that continued rain was preventing the extraction of bodies at some places, where recovery workers were waiting for hydraulic equipment to arrive. With all the major roads closed since the floods, and many bridges washed away, the government was having difficulty getting rations to isolated villages, state government spokesman Amit Chandola said.

Hundreds of thousands of Hindus visit Uttarakhand's temple towns during the summer. The state is also a popular holiday destination, and droves of Indians head to the cooler hills to escape the summer heat.

Visitors usually leave before July, when monsoon rains make the mountainous roads much more treacherous, but this year unprecedented heavy rain fell around mid-June. Roads, bridges and multi-storied buildings were washed away as flooded rivers rampaged through the state, burying entire villages in silt and debris.

Army and paramilitary soldiers and volunteers rescued more than 100,000 people who were stranded in remote areas cut off by washed-out roads and landslides.

The air force and private companies made thousands of helicopter sorties to pick up people stuck on rooftops or marooned on hilltops and to drop off food and drinking water.

Bahuguna said the government would rebuild the worst-hit temple town of Kedarnath, where hundreds perished on June 16 when a sea of silt and floodwater roared down a mountain valley, sweeping away everything in its path.

Environmental activists said the disaster was worsened by the rampant development of the area that made landslides more likely, while others accused the government of responding sluggishly.

Pankaj Gupta, chairman of the Industries Assn. of Uttarakhand, said the disaster has shaken the confidence of the people.

"There is a need to redesign Uttarakhand," he said.

ALSO:

Edward Snowden applies for temporary asylum in Russia

Solution for frazzled tourists in China: Baby bottles - for adults

Cow falls on man: 1-ton animal falls through roof onto his bed

 

Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times
69°