Volunteers, donations needed
The following are some of the programs in North County that need volunteers through the holiday season. The success of the programs is dependent on volunteers and contributions of clothing, food, toys and money.
* The North County Interfaith Council in Escondido needs donations of food, clothing, blankets and cash. Call 489-6380.
The council also needs volunteers to help in several areas. Workers are needed to staff a Christmas Eve program at the newly-opened homeless shelter at the Escondido Armory. Interested persons should call Bob Klug at 489-6380.
* The Armed Forces YMCA needs cash and food donations for its Christmas dinner for servicemen and women with no family in the area. Call Jerry at 722-7671.
* The Salvation Army in North County needs volunteers. Call the San Diego office at 239-8027.
* The North County Food Co-Op needs volunteers and cash and food donations to make it through this holiday season. Interested people should call Eileen Bates at 471-1613.
* Office of Social Concerns, Parish Church, Mission San Luis Rey, is accepting cash and food donations for its various programs, which include feeding migrant workers and senior citizens. Donations can be delivered to the church at 4070 Mission Ave., Oceanside. Call 757-3250 ext. 314.
* Community Resource Center of San Dieguito continues its annual tradition of distributing holiday baskets to Carlsbad residents. To offer assistance and make contributions, call 753-8300.
For referrals to other programs or to locate social welfare organizations, call United Way of San Diego County, 492-2000.