Sidebar: A look at some of the pension-boosting perks
The board of the California Public Employees’ Retirement System voted to add to a recent pension reform law 99 bonuses that can boost workers’ current paychecks and also their future pensions. Here are some of these retirement-enhancing bonuses:
• School Yard Premium — For part-time school employees who supervise students during recreation.
• Library Reference Desk Premium — For library staff who routinely provide direction to patrons.
• Physical Fitness Pay — For public safety officers and school security personnel who pass certain fitness tests.
• Animal Premium — For peace officers who handle dogs or horses.
• Traffic Detail Premium — For employees assigned to direct traffic.
• Parking Citation Premium — For employees assigned to read parking meters and write tickets.
• Dictation/Shorthand/Typing Premium — For clerical employees skilled at shorthand, dictation or typing at a certain speed.
• Sprinkler and Backflow Premium — For groundskeepers who routinely repair large sprinkler head controllers and valves.
• Front Desk Assignment Premium — For jail workers who routinely respond to questions from the public.
• Height Premium — For employees routinely assigned to work on ladders.
• Audio-Visual Premium — For employees routinely responsible for operating audio-visual equipment.
• Fire Staff Premium — For firefighters assigned to administrative work during normal hours.
• Auditorium Preparation Premium — For school employees who set up lighting and props on stages.
Your guide to our new economic reality.
Get our free business newsletter for insights and tips for getting by.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.