A home that was part of the country retreat of Lewis Stone, an early film star, has sold in the San Fernando Valley community of Valley Glen for $1.68 million.
The City of Los Angeles landmark changed hands last year for $1.6 million and in 2001 went for $850,000. The Spanish Colonial Revival-style house was listed at $1.799 million.
Built in 1930, the home was the main residence on Stone's 500-acre ranch while he was starring in such films as "Grand Hotel" and "Queen Christina."
The living and dining room have 15-foot ceilings. A walk-in film vault, a library/study, a den/office, a butler's pantry, a family room, six fireplaces, six bedrooms and five bathrooms are within the 6,500 square feet of living space.
A sunken tub is covered with Hispano-Moresque tile. Cast-iron chandeliers, mahogany floors and wood beam ceilings are among other details.
A brick courtyard surrounds the swimming pool and spa. A tiki bar, a detached guesthouse and fruit trees also sit on the more than half-acre grounds.
Stone, who died in 1953 at 73, played Judge James K. Hardy in the "Andy Hardy" films.
Fred Schwartz of Rhodes Realty and Craig Knizek of the Agency were the listing agents. David Adatto of Cethron Properties represented the buyer.