Total time: 1 hour
Servings: Makes 18 cookies
Note: From Kim Boyce
1/2 cup (1 stick) European-style unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
1 batch cherry preserves
1. Using an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugars, baking powder, baking soda and salt on high speed for 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
2. Add the egg and beat for 1 minute. The mixture will be broken at first but will come together during creaming.
3. Add the cream and vanilla extract. Mix to combine. Add the flour all at once and mix until combined.
4. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
5. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Separate the dough into 18 pieces. Shape into balls. Space the balls on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets and make a thumbprint in the center of each ball. Bake for 8 minutes.
6. Remove the pans from the oven. Gently press down the center of each cookie again. Place a generous teaspoon of jam in the center of each cookie. Bake for 8 more minutes. Remove from the oven and cool.