Total time: About 11/2 hours
Servings: Makes about 10 (8-ounce) jars
Note: Adapted from Valerie Gordon of Valerie Confections. Sweet smoked paprika and Marash pepper are available at specialty spice stores.
1 pound Roma tomatoes
4 pounds Santa Rosa plums or other black-skinned plums
3 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 red onion, diced
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 teaspoons sweet smoked paprika
1 teaspoon Marash pepper
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon molasses
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Peel the tomatoes: With a sharp paring knife, cut a small X at the base of each tomato. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then drop the tomatoes in the water. Remove the tomatoes with a slotted spoon when the skin has just begin peeling from the X, about 20 to 30 seconds. Immediately place the tomatoes in an ice bath to stop the cooking, then peel the skin from the tomatoes when they are cooled.
2. Quarter the tomatoes and remove the seeds, then roughly chop the tomato flesh and place in a large bowl.
3. Slice and seed the plums. Toss the plums and brown sugar with the tomatoes, then set aside.
4. In a wide-bottom pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat until hot. Stir in the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
5. Stir in the garlic, paprika and Marash pepper and cook until aromatic, about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
6. Stir the plum, tomato and brown sugar mixture into the pot and increase the heat to high, stirring frequently. Continue cooking at high heat; the ketchup will bubble fast and furiously. When the major bubbles subside and the ketchup starts to thicken, reduce the heat to medium.
7. Stir in the salt, pepper, molasses and cinnamon and continue stirring. Taste the ketchup and adjust the seasonings and flavorings if desired, then remove from heat and cool slightly.
8. Using a food mill or immersion blender, puree the ketchup until all the chunks are gone and you have a smooth paste.
9. Refrigerate the ketchup or can according to the jar manufacturer's instructions.
Each tablespoon: 25 calories; 0 protein; 6 grams carbohydrates; 0 fiber; 0 fat; 0 cholesterol; 5 grams sugar; 45 mg. sodium.