Total time: 30 minutes
Note: From Joe Gott of Taylor's Refresher. The pickled ginger and powdered wasabi are available at Asian markets and in the Asian food sections of well-stocked groceries.
Ginger wasabi mayonnaise
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup pickled ginger
2 tablespoons powdered wasabi
2 tablespoons chopped red onion
1 teaspoon white pepper
1. Place the mayonnaise, ginger, wasabi, onion and pepper in a food processor and blend to mix. Set aside.
2 cups thinly sliced nappa cabbage
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1. Place the cabbage in a large bowl. Blend the vinegar, oil and onions in a food processor, then pour over the cabbage and toss to coat.
4 (6-ounce) center-cut ahi steaks, sushi grade
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 egg buns, cut in half
1. Marinate the ahi steaks in the soy sauce 30 seconds on each side. Heat a grill (or a grill pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray) to high heat.
2. Reduce the heat to medium-high and sear for 1 minute. If you want to have crisscrossing grill marks, rotate each steak 90 degrees and continue to cook for 1 minute, then turn.
3. Repeat the process, cooking about 2 minutes to sear, and rotating if desired. The steaks will be rare in the middle.
4. Toast the buns and spread both sides with the mayonnaise mixture. On the bottom of each bun, place an ahi steak, pile about half a cup of slaw on top, then cover with top half of bun.
Each serving: 710 calories; 1,176 mg. sodium; 130 mg. cholesterol; 41 grams fat; 7 grams saturated fat; 36 grams carbohydrates; 47 grams protein; 4 grams fiber.
Recipe: Ahi steak sandwich
Get grilling. (Eric Boyd, Los Angeles Times)
We've upgraded our reader commenting system. Learn more about the new features.
Los Angeles Times welcomes civil dialogue about our stories; you must register with the site to participate. We filter comments for language and adherence to our Terms of Service, but not for factual accuracy. By commenting, you agree to these legal terms. Please flag inappropriate comments.
Having technical problems? Check here for guidance.