At least 19 people are dead and five remain missing after heavy rains pounded Southern California, unleashing mudflows in areas ravaged by wildfires last month.

As the death toll in the Montecito mudslides increased today, officials announced that the 101 Freeway will remain closed indefinitely.

Meanwhile, portraits of the victims are beginning to emerge.

More stormy weather advancing on L.A. County

The storm front that pounded Santa Barbara County early Tuesday — causing mudflows and widespread damage — is  moving into an already soaked Los Angeles County.

The National Weather Service said the storm will arrive in the L.A. basin around 10 a.m., bringing several more inches of rain in some areas.

The weather service said the situation in Santa Barbara County is easing somewhat.

“Rainfall intensities have weakened over the last hour. While flash flooding and debris flows are still occurring in and near the Thomas fire and a flash flood warning remains in effect, the minor flooding threat well away from the burn area over Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo counties has decreased so this flood advisory will be allowed to expire,” the NWS said in a statement. 

Latest updates

Copyright © 2018, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
46°