A motorist who called 911 shortly after rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight drove over two men last week told a dispatcher that she saw a fight occur immediately before the incident.
The 911 caller, whose audio was released to The Times by Compton city officials Thursday, said she was driving past a burger joint when she spotted the men involved in a physical altercation.
"The car ran over two guys," said the woman, her voice quivering with emotion. "They were fighting and then he just pulled back and pulled forward and run them over. Two guys are laying down."
Authorities said Knight barreled his red Ford truck over two men — killing one and injuring the other — last Thursday at Tam's Burgers in Compton. The incident followed a confrontation earlier that day, during which Knight argued with one of the men on the set for a commercial for the biopic "Straight Outta Compton."
The woman told the dispatcher that she tried to follow the truck as the driver fled the scene; her passenger attempted to photograph the license plate. The caller said she was at the corner of 142nd Street and Central Avenue, near the restaurant’s rear parking lot, where the incident occurred.
"We tried to follow the truck when we took pictures, but we don’t know if we got the right plates," she said.
Knight, 49, has been charged with murder and attempted murder in connection with the incident. He pleaded not guilty to both charges. He is being held without bail. If convicted, he could face life in prison.
Knight was back in jail Thursday after being taken to hospital during a medical emergency following his arraignment on Tuesday.
It is unclear whether the 911 caller's account would help either Knight or prosecutors.
Authorities said Knight used his Ford F-150 pickup truck to deliberately run over Terry Carter, 55, and Cle "Bone" Sloan, 51, last week. Carter was killed and Sloan was injured.
Knight's attorneys have said he did not intentionally hurt anyone and was devastated to learn that he had killed Carter, whom he considered a friend.
Knight's original attorney, James E. Blatt, previously told reporters that Knight accidentally ran over the two men while he was being assaulted and trying to escape.
Knight’s charges could be a potential third strike on a rap sheet that goes back 25 years. His two previous strikes are connected to convictions for assault.Copyright © 2017, Los Angeles Times