'Suge' Knight remains hospitalized after 'medical emergency'

Former rap mogul Marion “Suge” Knight remained hospitalized Wednesday morning, a day after he pleaded not guilty to a host of charges including murder and attempted murder and then had a “medical emergency,” Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department officials said.

Knight, 49, appeared in a Compton courthouse Tuesday morning to face charges connected to a hit-and-run last week that killed Terry Carter, 55, and left Cle "Bone" Sloan, 51, injured. He was also charged with two counts of hit and run and allegations that he committed a violent felony while out on bail pending another case.


After the brief hearing, Knight suffered an unspecified medical problem and was rushed to a local hospital, said Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Nicole Nishida. Officials declined to state where he was being treated.

Knight faces a potential third strike in this most recent case and is being held without bail.

He is scheduled to appear in court again Monday for a bail review hearing. Knight is being represented by a new attorney, David Kenner.

Detectives say Knight and Sloan fought while Knight sat in his truck. Knight then allegedly reversed his truck, aimed for Sloan and Carter -- who was not involved in the fight -- and accelerated. Carter was killed and Sloan was hospitalized.

Knight turned himself in the next morning.

Sloan's attorney Michael Shapiro told the L.A. Times on Tuesday morning that Sloan suffered a mangled foot and a concussion in the incident.

"He's really not doing well at all," Shapiro said. "I don't see how the guy lived."

Sloan, no longer hospitalized, is recovering in an undisclosed location.

Knight's former attorney, James E. Blatt, had told reporters that his client was assaulted and while trying to get away from his attackers accidentally ran over the two men. Knight was "heartbroken" over the death of Carter, a longtime friend, Blatt said.

When asked his opinion of Knight's version of events, Shapiro replied: "A man against a car. How do you vote?"

The initial judge in the case, John Cheroske, has recused himself because he previously represented each of the victims. The new judge is Ricardo Ocampo.

Knight's two previous strikes are connected to convictions for assault with a deadly weapon.

For breaking California news, follow @JosephSerna.