SACRAMENTO -- As the hunger strike in California prisons ends, two lawmakers plan to move forward with their plans to hold hearings examining the use of solitary confinement in maximum security facilities.
The strike lasted for two months as inmates protested prison conditions.
“The issues they raised will not be ignored," said Sen. Loni Hancock (D-Berkeley) on Thursday.
Hancock and Assemblyman Tom Ammiano (D-San Francisco) announced last week that they would hold hearings, a decision that pleased inmate advocates.
“I’m especially gratified if the call for hearings helped bring this about,” Ammiano said in a statement. “However, our real work begins now, as we will soon start preparing for hearings that I hope can bring an end to the disgraceful conditions that triggered the hunger strike.”
The hearings could begin as early as October.
Twitter: @chrismegerianCopyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times