A 25-year-old man who describes himself as a performance artist will be arraigned Wednesday on charges in connection with a hoax bomb placed at the site where two bombs exploded last year at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, killing three and injuring more than 260.
Kevin “Kayvon” Edson will be arraigned in Boston Municipal Court, Jake Wark, a spokesman for the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office in Boston, told the Los Angeles Times on Wednesday. The specific charges are still being decided, he said.
Tuesday night, hours after the city marked the anniversary of last year’s bombing, Edson was captured on video bounding down Boylston Street yelling “Boston Strong,” as dozens of reporters and police looked on. Edson’s black knapsack contained a rice cooker, which was harmlessly detonated by authorities.
Last year two "pressure cooker" bombs in black knapsacks exploded about 12 seconds apart beginning at 2:49 p.m. at the Boylston Street finish line.
Bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev died days after the bombing during the manhunt that shut down the city and its suburbs. His brother, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, faces the death penalty if convicted of federal charges for his role in the attack.
Edson appears to have a rich, if somewhat bizarre, existence on the Web.
“I’m a fashion designer, an entrepreneur, a performance artist, a mental patient, a blogger bloggerist, a jailbird, a college dropout and a drag queen,” a man who identified himself as Kayvon Edson says in a video posted on YouTube. “Boston, yeaaaah, dude,” he bellows in character, saying he was diagnosed as bipolar.
In an interview with the Associated Press, his mother, Joie Edson, said her son has a bipolar disorder.
ALSO:Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times