A federal judge approved a $41-million settlement Friday for five black and Latino men who were wrongly accused in the brutal rape and beating of a Central Park jogger in 1989.
While admitting no wrongdoing, the city will make the payouts to Antron McCray, Kevin Richardson, Raymond Santana Jr., Yusef Salaam and Korey Wise, each of whom served between six and 13 years in prison after the vicious attack captivated the media during a time when New York City was rife with crime and violence.
Eventually, admitted serial rapist Matias Reyes told police he committed the assault, and DNA evidence confirmed the claim.
"This settlement is an act of justice for those five men that is long overdue. The city had a moral obligation to right this injustice — which is why, from Day One, I vowed to settle this case," de Blasio said in a statement.
Calls to plaintiffs' attorney Jonathan Moore were not immediately returned Friday, but he previously said the sizable settlement serves as an acknowledgment of wrongdoing on behalf of the city.
Times Staff Writer Tina Susman contributed to this report.