For the Record, 2:02 p.m. PST Dec. 14: Officials have corrected the identity of the gunman in Friday’s deadly shooting at an elementary school in suburban Connecticut, saying the suspect was Adam Lanza, 20, and not his brother, Ryan. Ryan Lanza was being questioned by authorities, sources said. The Times, citing unnamed sources, reported that Ryan was the suspect. Here is the latest information. The story below and the headline were based on the earlier, incorrect information.
The shooter in the deadly attack on a suburban Connecticut elementary school in which at least 27 people were killed has been identified by sources as Ryan Lanza, 24, reportedly the son of an employee of the school.
Lanza who lived in Sandy Hook, Conn., was previously from Hoboken, N.J. Law enforcement officials were searching the New Jersey home of a relative and believe that person has been shot to death as well.
There was no immediate confirmation on the identity, but several media outlets reported that the body was that of Lanza’s father, Peter.
His mother, Nancy Lanza, 52, lived in Newtown, where the school, Sandy Hook Elementary, is located.
She was employed at the Sandy Hook Elementary School and worked with kindergarten children. Some of her students were among the 18 pupils killed in the attack.
In all, at least 27 people died. Ryan Lanza was among the dead, officials said.