Total time: 40 minutes, plus heating time for the coals
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
Freshly ground black pepper
6 (10 to 12 ounces each) trout, scaled and cleaned
2 lemons, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
2 tablespoons capers
12 sprigs parsley
Bacon grease, butter or shortening for frying
1. Prepare coals in a fire pit or grill. Meanwhile, in a shallow baking pan, mix the flour and cornmeal with one-half teaspoon salt and one-fourth teaspoon black pepper.
2. Season the cavity of each fish with a good pinch each of salt and pepper. Place three to four lemon slices, 1 teaspoon capers and 2 sprigs of parsley inside each cavity; seal with a toothpick.
3. Season the outside of each fish with a good pinch each of salt and pepper, rubbing the seasoning evenly over each fish. Dredge each fish in the flour mixture and set aside in a cool place while the coals heat.
4. When the coals are completely covered with a thin layer of white ash, spread them in the ring or grill, leaving some mounded in the center. Heat a cast-iron skillet on a rack a few inches above the coals. When the skillet is medium hot (you will be able to hold your hand 6 inches above the skillet for several seconds), place a couple tablespoons of bacon grease (or butter or shortening) in the skillet and allow it to coat the bottom completely.
5. Place two or threefish in the skillet -- do not crowd the pan -- and fry on one side until golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes. Allow the fish to sizzle gently but consistently; if it fries too quickly, the skin will burn before the fish is cooked. If the pan is too cool, move it closer to the coals; if too hot, move the pan farther from the coals. Add additional grease as necessary to keep a light film on the bottom of the pan. Turn the fish over and fry the fish on the other side, another 6 to 7 minutes. Repeat with the remaining fish. Remove toothpicks, and serve immediately.
Each serving: 424 calories; 39 grams protein; 17 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 21 grams fat; 7 grams saturated fat; 193 mg. cholesterol; 619 mg. sodium.