Apple walnut kugel
Total time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Servings: 8 to 10
Note: Roll the pasta as thinly as possible before cutting it into noodles. Allow to dry overnight before using.
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup cider
1/2 cup currants
2 large tart apples, such as Granny Smith, Braeburn or Gala
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons mascarpone
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more for cooking the pasta
1/2 recipe basic pappardelle pasta, rolled, cut and dried
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees and bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat.
2. Meanwhile, in a sauté pan over medium heat, toast the walnuts until fragrant and slightly darkened, stirring frequently, 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a small saucepan, bring the cider to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the currants. Allow the currants to rehydrate until plump, about 15 minutes.
4. While the currants are softening, core and peel the apples. Thinly slice the apples lengthwise, and toss with the lemon juice in a medium bowl. Set aside.
5. Make the custard base: In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Whisk in the mascarpone, then the milk, lemon zest, vanilla, one-half teaspoon cinnamon and one-fourth teaspoon salt until well-combined. Set aside.
6. Cook the pasta in the boiling water just until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and allow to cool slightly in a colander. Add the pasta to the custard base, tossing gently to coat the noodles. Stir in the walnuts, currants (and remaining cider) and apples (with any remaining lemon juice).
7. Place the kugel mixture in a deep-dish pie pan or in a 12-by-9-inch baking dish.
8. Combine the brown sugar, nutmeg, allspice and remaining cinnamon in a small bowl. Drizzle the mixture over the kugel.
9. Bake the kugel until set and golden on top, 50 minutes. Cool slightly on a rack, then serve immediately.
Each of 10 servings: 285 calories; 7 grams protein; 40 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams fiber; 12 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 110 mg. cholesterol; 104 mg. sodium.