Why do fliers love Singapore's Changi Airport so much? Maybe it's the lavish indoor gardens, the rooftop swimming pool, the on-site movie theaters or the napping areas in every terminal. This week, Changi won the 2015 world's best airport award handed out by Skytrax, a Britain-based consultancy that conducts research for commercial airlines and runs an airline and airport review and ranking website.
It's the third consecutive year the airport has won the award, according to a Skytrax report. Changi also won the award for best airport for leisure activities.
Skytrax evaluated more than 550 airports based on 39 criteria for customer satisfaction, including check-ins, arrivals, transfers, shopping, airport service and immigration. The awards were given out Wednesday in Barcelona, Spain.
No U.S. airport made it onto Skytrax's list of the top 10 airports, most of which were in Europe and Asia. San Francisco International Airport did come away with an award for the best airport staff service in North America. Canada's Vancouver International Airport was named the top airport in North America.
Incheon International Airport in South Korea came in second on the top-10 list and also received awards for best international transit and terminal cleanliness.
Rounding the list were:
3. Munich Airport in Germany
4. Hong Kong International Airport (which also won best airport dining experience and best airport immigration service)
5. Tokyo International Airport (Haneda)
6. Zurich Airport in Switzerland
7. Central Japan International Airport in Tokyo
8. London Heathrow Airport in Britain (which also won the best airport shopping award; its T5 terminal won the best terminal award)
9. Amsterdam Schiphol Airport in the Netherlands
10. Beijing Capital International Airport in China