L.A. Mayor Garcetti identifies city’s ‘Great Streets’
Mayor Eric Garcetti is officially announcing the first 15 areas to be targeted by ‘Great Streets,’ his initiative to revitalize L.A. neighborhoods.
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti’s office has identified the first 15 areas to be targeted in his initiative to revitalize dozens of neighborhood streets.
The goal of his “Great Streets” program, the mayor has said, is to make streets more pedestrian-friendly and attract businesses. The mayor’s staff said Monday that $800,000 has been initially budgeted for the project.
Garcetti first announced the program in October, and said that it would target up to 40 neighborhoods and focus a variety of resources on improvements. He pointed to intersections such as Sunset Junction in Silver Lake and Glendale Boulevard in Atwater Village that underwent a revival during his 12 years as a city councilman representing those areas.
He mentioned the project again in his first State of the City address in April as part of his agenda to improve the quality of life in L.A. Designated streets will be “the standard-bearers of a revitalized city, one main street at a time,” he said.
The first 15 that will be formally announced Tuesday morning include one in each council district:
- District 1: North Figueroa Street between Avenue 50 and Avenue 60
- District 2: Lankershim Boulevard between Chandler and Victory boulevards
- District 3: Sherman Way between Wilbur and Lindley avenues
- District 4: Western Avenue between Melrose Avenue and 3rd Street
- District 5: Westwood Boulevard between Le Conte Avenue and Wilshire Boulevard
- District 6: Van Nuys Boulevard between Victory Boulevard and Oxnard Street
- District 7: Van Nuys Boulevard between Laurel Canyon Boulevard and San Fernando Road
- District 8: Crenshaw Boulevard between 78th Street and Florence Avenue
- District 9: Central Avenue between MLK Boulevard and Vernon Avenue
- District 10: Pico Boulevard between Hauser Boulevard and Fairfax Avenue
- District 11: Venice Boulevard between Beethoven Street and Inglewood Boulevard
- District 12: Reseda Boulevard between Plummer Street and Parthenia Avenue
- District 13: Hollywood Boulevard between La Brea Avenue & Gower Street
- District 14: Cesar Chavez Avenue between Evergreen Avenue and St. Louis Street
- District 15: Gaffey Street between 15th Street & the 110 Freeway
Start your day right
Sign up for Essential California for news, features and recommendations from the L.A. Times and beyond in your inbox six days a week.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.