Advertisement
World & Nation

Child hospitalized overnight after 13 hurt in Reno explosion

Reno museum explosion
Firefighters confer outside the Nevada Discovery Museum in Reno, where a science experiment went awry.
(Scott Sonner / Associated Press)

A child was to be hospitalized overnight after a chemical explosion at a Reno museum Wednesday injured 13 people.

Eight children, originally reported as seven, and one adult were taken to the hospital after the blast, which occurred about 4 p.m. at the Terry Lee Wells Nevada Discovery Museum in downtown Reno, according to a news release from the Reno Fire Department. 

The victims suffered burns and cuts, but none of the injuries were life-threatening, officials said. Some of those taken to the hospital were burned on the face, officials said. The ages of the children were unclear.

Boric acid and alcohol were being mixed at the time of the experiment to create a demonstration tornado, but “the mixtures were wrong,” said Matthew Brown, spokesman for the city.

Advertisement

The condition of the child hospitalized overnight was not released. 

Follow @theryanparker for breaking news


Newsletter
Get our Today's Headlines newsletter
Advertisement