U.S. News & World Report picks top 15 U.S. hotels, including seven in the West
It’s the time of year when 2017 best hotel lists are popping up. AAA last week issued its new Five Diamond hotel list. Now U.S. News & World Report reveals its rankings of hotels in the U.S. and around the world.
Among U.S. hotels, the Langham, Chicago came in at No. 1 followed by the Four Seasons Resort, Hualalai in Hawaii; the Jefferson in Washington, D.C.; Montage Kapalua Bay in Maui, Hawaii; and the Lodge at Sea Island at Sea Island, Ga.
How does the magazine pick the best? It’s complicated.
In a release about methodology, U.S. News says it only looks at “luxury hotels” with at least 20 rooms. Then it considers guest ratings on TripAdvisor, awards and recognition the hotel has received and its class of hotel (though stars and other ratings aren’t standard). The hotel “score” derived from these sources and others determines the list.
Bottom line: It’s not a perfect science. U.S. News offers this caveat too:
“But even though our rankings of hotels, vacations and things to do are based on a wide collection of independent opinions, the best options for you may not be those ranked No. 1 or No. 2. Travel experiences are personal ones. Nonetheless, we hope that our rankings can serve as helpful guideposts as you plan your next trip.”
Here are the hotels that ranked tops in the United States — and the cheapest room prices you’ll find there (based on online searches for the random night of March 4).
1. The Langham, Chicago, $344
2. Four Seasons Resort, Hualalai, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island, Hawaii, $1,045
3. The Jefferson, Washington, D.C., $355
4. Montage Kapalua Bay, Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii, $3,370
5. The Lodge at Sea Island, Sea Island, Ga., $425
6. Acqualina Resort & Spa on the Beach, Sunny Isles Beach, Fla., $795
7. The Hay-Adams, Washington, D.C., $329
8. Montage Deer Valley, Park City, Utah $1,245 (March 4 unavailable; for night of March 11
9. Rancho Valencia Resort & Spa, Rancho Santa Fe, Calif., $1,054
10. Primland, Meadows of Dan, Va., $304 (March 4 unavailable; for night of March 5)
11. The Peninsula Beverly Hills, Beverly Hills, $685
12. Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas, $289
13. Four Seasons Resort Lanai, Lanai, Hawaii, $1,150
14. The Peninsula Chicago, $360
15. The Greenwich Hotel, New York, N.Y., $595
Info: For a list of all hotel rankings, go to U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hotels & Advice website
Get inspired to get away.
Explore California, the West and beyond with the weekly Escapes newsletter.
You may occasionally receive promotional content from the Los Angeles Times.