A San Clemente estate that became known as the Western White House during Richard M. Nixon's presidency has come back up for sale at $69 million.
Called La Casa Pacifica when Nixon took ownership in 1969, the sprawling 5.45-acre compound occupies an ocean bluff in a gated enclave. While the 37th U.S. president lived there he replaced an existing tennis court with a swimming pool and built a 1,500-foot-long wall to enclose the property.
The California Colonial Revival main house, built in 1926, spans about 9,000 square feet with tile and hardwood flooring, arched doorways and detailed groin-vaulted ceilings. Many of the main rooms open to a center courtyard with a tiled fountain.
Among other features is an ocean-view office used by Nixon and an entertainment pavilion. Including a two-bedroom guesthouse, staff residences and offices, there are about 15,000 square feet of living space, nine bedrooms, nine full bathrooms, a three-quarter bathroom and four powder rooms.
A greenhouse, a pool, a tennis court, formal gardens and expanses of lawn complete the grounds. Views take in Santa Catalina Island, the open water and the coastline.
World leaders to have visited the property have included former Japanese Premier Eisaku Sato, former South Vietnamese President Nguyen Van Thieu and former Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev.
Crooner Frank Sinatra, actor John Wayne and the Rev. Billy Graham also made the guest list.
The property was priced at $75 million last year but was taken off the market after three months.
The seller of the oceanfront estate is former Allergan Pharmaceuticals Chief Executive Gavin S. Herbert, who bought the property from Nixon in the 1980s.
Rob Giem of Hom Sotheby's International Realty is the listing agent.