Chris Brown is off probation, Rihanna assault case closed

More than six years after assaulting Rihanna, Chris Brown hears 'case closed' from the judge

Chris Brown is off probation. Repeat: Chris Brown is off probation.

Finally.

Two thousand, two hundred and thirty-two days after the singer assaulted his then-girlfriend Rihanna, Superior Court Judge James R. Brandlin determined that Breezy had completed the community labor required of him and, according to the Associated Press, declared the felony case closed.

"IM OFF PROBATION!!!!!!!! Thank the Lord!!!!!!," Brown said Friday afternoon on Twitter, echoing a sentiment no doubt held by celebrity writers across the land.

Earlier in the day, he'd solicited help from a much higher power than attorney Mark Geragos.

"Hopefully this is my last day in court..... Pray for me...," the singer said to his social-media followers in the morning, attaching a gaggle of praying-hands emojis for emphasis.

Brown pleaded guilty on June 22, 2009, to felony assault, admitting he'd beaten up Rihanna in a rented Lamborghini the night before that year's Grammy Awards. While avoiding time behind bars, he was sentenced to six months of community labor, a yearlong domestic-violence course and five years'  probation.

It just took more than six years -- and easily 5 million or 10 million court dates for the "F.A.M.E." artist to get all that done. And he actually did do some jail time along the way, related to violating probation.

Geragos, incidentally, told the AP on Friday that the final hearing represented "a monumental feat" for his client.

"He is in a spot right now and a place right now that I couldn't be prouder of him."

Follow Christie D'Zurilla on Twitter @theCDZ and Google+. Follow the Ministry of Gossip on Twitter @LATcelebs.

 

Copyright © 2017, Los Angeles Times
72°