Caramel budino and final assembly
3 tablespoons plus 1 1/8 teaspoons sugar
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon dark rum
4prepared Chocolate budinos, chilled
Whipped cream for garnish
Fresh berries for garnish
1. In a medium, heavy-bottom saucepan, combine the sugar with the water. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and continue to cook until the sugar caramelizes to a rich golden color. Be careful not to overcook or the sugar will burn.
2. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the cream and milk to a boil. As soon as the sugar caramelizes, remove from heat. Immediately whisk the milk mixture into the caramel, but be very careful as the mixture will steam and this could burn. Once the mixture is smooth, stir in the salt and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.
3. While the caramel mixture is coming to a boil, whisk together the egg and cornstarch in a medium bowl, then whisk in the rum. When the caramel mixture has come to a boil, remove from heat and whisk one-half cup into the egg mixture to temper the eggs.
4. Whisk the tempered egg mixture back into the saucepan and heat over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens to a custard consistency, 1 to 2 minutes. Immediately remove from heat and strain into a medium bowl. Remove the chilled chocolate custards from the refrigerator.
5. Gently pour the caramel custard evenly into the 4 chilled serving bowls, forming a layer over each of the chocolate custards. Refrigerate, uncovered, until chilled.
6. Serve each custard with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkling of fresh berries.
Each serving: 840 calories; 14 grams protein; 73 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 55 grams fat; 33 grams saturated fat; 320 mg. cholesterol; 183 mg. sodium.