Total time: 50 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
1 pound new potatoes
2 strips thick bacon, cut into ½-inch crosswise strips
1 tablespoon minced shallots
4 medium artichokes, trimmed to hearts and stems, quartered lengthwise and stored in acidulated water
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup cream
2 tablespoons minced chives
1. Steam the potatoes until tender, about 15 minutes, and set aside. When cool enough to handle, cut into quarters or bite-sized pieces.
2. Fry cut-up bacon in a dry skillet over medium heat until brown, about 10 minutes. Discard all but about 1 to 2 teaspoons of fat and add the shallots. Cook until the shallots are fragrant and tender, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the artichokes and the water, cover tightly, and cook until the artichokes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Remove the lid, increase the heat to high and cook, stirring, until the liquid has reduced to traces of syrup, about 5 minutes.
5. Add the cut-up potatoes and stir to coat with juices. Add the cream and salt to taste and continue cooking over high heat until the cream has thickened and reduced enough to coat the potatoes and artichokes lightly, about 5 minutes.
6. Remove from heat and stir in the minced chives before turning into a serving bowl.
Each serving: 194 calories; 5 grams protein; 23 grams carbohydrates; 8 grams fiber; 10 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 31 mg cholesterol; 2 grams sugar; 125 mg sodium.Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times