About 1 hour
8 to 10
3 pounds strawberries
1/2 cup sugar plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
1 vanilla bean, seeded
4 teaspoons Amaretto
1 1/2 cups (6.4 ounces) flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) cold butter, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 cup cold buttermilk
1/3 cup sliced almonds
Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
1. Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. Hull the strawberries. Cut the strawberries, keeping the pieces large (leave the small strawberries whole, halve the mediums, and quarter the large). Place the strawberries in a large bowl. Toss with 1/2 cup sugar, the vanilla seeds and Amaretto, making sure the vanilla and amaretto are evenly distributed.
3. Pour the strawberry mixture into a 9- by 13-inch baking dish.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, salt and baking powder. Cut in the cold butter using a pastry cutter or fork until the butter is reduced to small, pea-sized pieces. Pour in the buttermilk, and stir until the mixture is combined to form a thick, sticky batter. Gently stir in the almonds to combine.
5. Scoop the batter into 8 to 10 portions, using a large soup or small serving spoon. Space the dumplings evenly over the strawberries. Place the baking dish in the oven and bake until the dumplings have risen and are golden brown and the strawberries are softened and bubbly, 30 to 40 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the dumplings should come out clean.
6. Remove and cool slightly on a rack. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.