Total time: 10 minutes
1 large ( 1/2 pound) head of radicchio
1/4 cup olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon for brushing on radicchio
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
1. Cut the radicchio into quarters through the root end. Brush the cut side of the radicchio with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
2. Grill over medium heat, cut side down, for 3 to 6 minutes, until lightly charred on the outside but not cooked through. The center of the radicchio should be uncooked. Remove from heat.
3. Slice the radicchio crosswise into thin strips. Toss with the red onion.
4. Whisk the balsamic vinegar, mustard and honey in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, and cook, at a medium boil, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Whisk in remaining olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Pour the vinaigrette over the radicchio and onion. Season to taste with salt and pepper. This can be made several hours ahead and refrigerated until ready to serve. Makes 6 cups.
Each serving: 118 calories; 1 gram protein; 4 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 11 grams fat; 2 grams saturated fat; 0 cholesterol; 31 mg. sodium.Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times