AUDIO SLIDE SHOW: Tracing a family name to a hidden past
All his life, people had asked Joe Mozingo about his name. He began to look into it, and the more he learned, the more he realized a key part of his family's history had been buried. So he set out to learn the story, traveling from the tidelands of Virginia to the hollows of Kentucky and southeastern Indiana and beyond. At times, he struggled to absorb what he was finding. He learned that his early ancestry reflected not so much a quirk of American history as the messy start of it, seeding an internal conflict that continues today.
Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times
- Banc of California gets 20 Popular Community branches, Latino presence 04/23/2014, 12:58 p.m.
- Man who rubbed women with eggs in 'spiritual cleansing' guilty of rape 04/23/2014, 12:41 p.m.
- Georgia's sweeping new gun law allows guns in bars, churches 04/23/2014, 12:39 p.m.
- 19th-century shipwreck rediscovered off Golden Gate 04/23/2014, 12:38 p.m.
- New Senate polls offer three lessons and some hope for Democrats 04/23/2014, 12:27 p.m.
- Albuquerque police fail to recover video from officer who killed teen - Nation - latimes.com 04/23/2014, 1:55 p.m.
- James Holmes to appeal sanity test order in Aurora theater shootings - Nation - latimes.com 04/23/2014, 1:55 p.m.
- #myNYPD Twitter campaign boomerangs across the nation - Nation - latimes.com 04/23/2014, 1:09 p.m.
- Georgia's sweeping new gun law allows guns in bars, churches - Nation - latimes.com 04/23/2014, 12:39 p.m.
- New Senate polls offer three lessons and some hope for Democrats - latimes.com - Politics 04/23/2014, 12:27 p.m.