Pasadena apartment complex fire

Pasadena Fire Department officials said careless smoking was the source of a fire that tore through a two-story apartment complex in Pasadena early Monday. (Jamie Nicholson / Pasadena Fire Department)

Careless smoking started a fire in a Pasadena apartment complex that caused more than $500,000 in damage and displaced 19 people, injuring four.

Someone carelessly discarded a cigarette onto a couch on the balcony of the complex, said Lisa Derderian, a spokeswoman for the Pasadena Fire Department.

The fire was reported Monday around 2 a.m. at the complex in the 270 block of E. Penn Street, between Garfield and Marengo avenues, she said.

Some people were forced to jump from the second story because flames kept them from going down the stairs, Derderian said. Children were handed to neighbors through windows.

Four adults were taken to hospitals with minor injuries, she said.

The complex was mainly occupied by members of the same family, Derderian said. Red Cross officials were assisting the extended family.

ALSO:

Baby died in SUV while neighbors worked just a few feet away

FBI: Man suspected of brutally killing his family may be in L.A. area

Box of newborn kittens accidentally shipped from L.A. to San Diego

Twitter: @latvives

ruben.vives@latimes.com