A Santa Clara County judge ruled Monday that serial rapist Christopher Hubbart's release into the community would not be revoked.
Judge Richard Loftus denied the Los Angeles County district attorney's office request to revoke Hubbart's conditional release, according to a post from the district attorney's verified Twitter account.
No additional details were offered.
Hubbart was released from a mental hospital in Coalinga to a Lake Los Angeles home in July.
Prosecutors wanted Hubbart -- dubbed the “Pillowcase Rapist” -- to return to custody, arguing that he was a threat and violated his release by allowing the power on his required ankle monitor to run low.
The hearing was requested by Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. Jackie Lacey.
“We believe this violent predator continues to pose a serious danger to our community,” she said last month when the hearing was requested.
Hubbart, who admitted to assaulting dozens of women in the 1970s and '80s, had been confined since 1996 because of his violent sexual tendencies.
Hubbart's release and relocation in the community sparked outrage from residents concerned that the sexual predator would strike again.
Cheryl Holbrook, a member of the Ladies of Lake LA, a group created to fight Hubbart's release to their community, said she was upset by Monday's decision, according to the Associated Press.
"This is scary news, really scary. Terrifying," said Holbrook, who lives about 5 miles away from Hubbart's home, according to the AP.
Assemblyman Tom Lackey (R-Palmdale) said the judge failed to stop Hubbart from victimizing others with Monday's decision.
"Hubbart has proven to be uniquely dangerous and very calculating, leaving a trail of dozens of victims in his path," Lackey said in a statement. "We must continue to speak out for true justice and end Hubbart’s unfair release into the Antelope Valley.”
Hubbart is ordered to wear an ankle GPS monitor 24 hours a day, seven days a week. He also must attend group and individual therapy sessions twice a week and is being supervised full-time by the Liberty Conditional Release Program.
Calls to Hubbart's lawyer and the district attorney's office were not returned.