LOCALL.A. Now

Girl, 8, abducted outside South L.A. McDonald's found safe, LAPD says

8-year-old girl allegedly kidnapped by mother outside South L.A. McDonald's is found safe, mom arrested

An 8-year-old girl who was allegedly abducted by her mother Tuesday night outside a McDonald's in South Los Angeles has been found safe, police said.

Dezhane Norton was found Wednesday morning, a little less than 12 hours after she went missing, police said. Her mother, who does not have legal custody of the child, was arrested, police said.

The girl was being cared for by Los Angeles police Wednesday and waiting to be released to the Department of Children and Family Services.

She was with her grandparents, who are her legal guardians, at the fast food restaurant in the 1700 block of West Century Boulevard when she went missing around 9 p.m., according to the LAPD.

Dezhane and her grandparents saw the mother, 42-year-old Kivon Norton, by chance at the McDonald's, and Norton asked if she could talk to the child, police said.

The grandparents consented and went inside to purchase food, but when they returned to the parking lot the mother and child were gone, authorities said.

For breaking news in Los Angeles and the Southland, follow @Caitlin__Owens, or email her at caitlin.owens@latimes.com.

Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times

UPDATE

July 16, 8:55 a.m.: This story was updated to report that Dezhane Norton had been found and her mother arrested.

This post was originally published at 8:13 a.m.

Related Content
Comments
Loading