LocalL.A. Now

Pool cleaner accused of molesting boys now also faces child porn charge

Courts and the Judiciary

Prosecutors on Friday added a child pornography charge against a Newport Beach pool maintenance man already accused of sexually abusing seven boys over more than a decade.

Christopher Bryan McKenzie, 50, has been behind bars since December 2012, when Newport Beach police arrested him on suspicion of molesting two children.

Since then, the Orange County district attorney's office has added accusations from other victims, including boys McKenzie allegedly met while he was a child-care volunteer at Rock Harbor Church in Costa Mesa, the Daily Pilot reported.

Senior Deputy Dist. Atty. Nicole Nicholson said investigators found the pornography on McKenzie's computer. She said it didn't indicate additional victims.

McKenzie pleaded not guilty to the new felony charge, just as he has with the other 23 felonies leveled against him. They include performing lewd acts on a child under 14, using a child to distribute obscene material and distributing pornography to a minor.

A preliminary hearing scheduled for next month could determine whether McKenzie will go to trial.

But his defense may not have access to some evidence in time for that hearing.

McKenzie's public defenders subpoenaed school records of his alleged victims from the Newport-Mesa Unified School District. They sought information on any incidents in which specific students may have lied about or fabricated inappropriate sexual advances by teachers or other students.

Those records have been sealed since December, awaiting a court determination on what, if anything, is relevant to the case.

As it stands, none of the information has been reviewed, and it won't be available before the preliminary hearing.

Orange County Superior Court Judge Douglas J. Hatchimonji said Friday it's up to the defense to request a review soon if it wants its subpoenaed documents before the hearing, scheduled for March 14.

McKenzie remains in jail in lieu of $3-million bail.

ALSO:

LAPD in mourning after 3 officers killed in 2 months

Donald Sterling will fight to keep Clippers, Garcetti predicts

Red Cross assisting homeless residents displaced after shelter fire

Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times
Comments
Loading