No order of protection issued for Robert Durst's family

Court officials in New Orleans said Tuesday there is no record of a new protective order issued for the relatives of Robert Durst, who is facing extradition to California on a murder charge. 

------------

FOR THE RECORD

7:57 a.m. An earlier version of this story said that Durst family spokesman Jordan Barowitz had confirmed via email that a protective order had been issued. Barowitz told The Times only that he had "heard an order of protection was granted." He also said that he did not believe the family had made any such request.

------------

Durst - the focus of the HBO documentary series "The Jinx," about his ties to at least two deaths - was arrested Saturday in New Orleans. On Monday, Los Angeles County prosecutors charged him with murder in the death of his friend Susan Berman in 2000.

The protection order, reported by TMZ, was said to apply to Robert's billionaire brother Douglas Durst; his brother's wife, Susanne Durst; and the couple's children and grandchildren.

The Durst family had previously gotten an order of protection against Robert Durst when he  stood trial last year, accused of trespassing outside the homes of his relatives in Manhattan, local media reported. He was acquitted.

"As long as he's incarcerated, we're happy, " Barowitz said Tuesday.

Molly Hennessy-Fiske contributed to this report from New Orleans.

Follow Ryan Parker on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times

UPDATES

March 17, 7:44 a.m.: This article was updated with corrected information as noted above.

March 16, 7:31 p.m.: This story has been updated with additional information concerning the protective order. 

This story was originally published at 6:39 p.m.

59°