Sports

Russell Westbrook won't play for Team USA this summer

Russell Westbrook will not play for U.S. in World Cup of Basketball
No decision, no complaints from LeBron James

USA Basketball says Oklahoma City guard Russell Westbrook will not participate this summer so he can rest some previous knee injuries.

Chairman Jerry Colangelo says Tuesday that USA Basketball had been communicating with Westbrook since the end of the season and knew his withdrawal was a possibility. The Americans will begin training camp July 28 in Las Vegas, a month before the World Cup of Basketball opens in Spain.

Westbrook was a member of the Americans' gold medal-winning teams at the 2010 World Championship and 2012 Olympics. He has had multiple knee operations since, though he was able to help the Thunder reach the Western Conference finals.

Colangelo says in a statement that the U.S. would love to have Westbrook but that "this is the right decision."

LeBron has 'no complaints'

LeBron James held meetings for more than three hours in a Las Vegas hotel Tuesday, leaving without giving any indication of what team he'll play for next season.

The four-time MVP told the Associated Press he had "no complaints" when asked how free agency was going. He declined to say whom he had met with Tuesday or whether he had made a decision as to where he'll play next.

James is expected to meet with Miami Heat President Pat Riley before making a final decision on his NBA future, and a person close to the situation said that meeting had not happened as of Tuesday afternoon.

LaVine signs with Timberwolves

The Minnesota Timberwolves have signed first-round draft pick Zach LaVine from UCLA.

The Timberwolves announced the signing on the second day of a camp to prepare LaVine and others for the team's summer league competition in Las Vegas. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

LaVine, the 13th overall pick last month, averaged 9.5 points and 2.5 rebounds as a freshman last season. Team President and Coach Flip Saunders called LaVine "exceptional" after the team's first workout on Monday and says he has no doubt the 19-year-old can play both guard positions.

Hornets try to fill hole left by McRoberts

The Charlotte Hornets are turning to a pair of young, inexperienced power forwards after losing Josh McRoberts in free agency.

McRoberts was the one player Coach Steve Clifford said the team couldn't afford to lose this off-season, but the Heat announced Monday it intends to sign McRoberts to a reported four-year deal.

It's expected second-year player Cody Zeller will take McRoberts' spot in the starting lineup with Noah Vonleh, the ninth overall pick in last month's draft, likely to see significant playing time. The Hornets don't have any veteran depth at power forward beyond their two youngsters.

Charlotte General Manager Rich Cho and Clifford have spent the week courting restricted free agent Gordon Hayward, hoping $16 million in salary cap space helps them land the former Butler star, who spent his first three NBA seasons playing alongside current Hornets center Al Jefferson in Utah.

Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times
Related Content
Comments
Loading