World light-middleweight champion Carlos Molina was arrested in Las Vegas earlier this week, but is in the process of being released Thursday morning to keep his Saturday night title defense against Jermall Charlo on the “Canelo” Alvarez-Alfredo Angulo card, according to the fight card’s promoter.
“He’s being processed out of jail as of now, and I’m being told the fight was on,” said Richard Schaefer, chief executive of Golden Boy Promotions.
Schaefer is promoting the fight while Molina is actually promoted by Leon Margules of Warrior Boxing, who has given Schaefer assurances that Molina will appear at a 1 p.m. Thursday news conference in Las Vegas, and will fight Charlo (17-0, 13 KOs).
Margules did not immediately return a message left for him by The Times.
Molina, according to an official for Golden Boy Promotions, was served with a warrant from another state and jailed on an unknown charge while concluding training in Las Vegas on Tuesday.
His lawyers then worked feverishly to have him released to fight at MGM Grand.
Schaefer said if Molina cannot fight, he will move the light-welterweight fight of Alvarez’s brother, Ricardo (23-2-3), against Sergio Thompson into the pay-per-view telecast on Showtime.
“I prefer to keep the world title fight on for Charlo, because he’s worked hard to get the opportunity,” Schaefer said. “I hear Molina is fired up more than ever. Based on what I’ve been told, everything is looking good, but I don’t want to speculate too much until I see him. These are dicey situations.
“All I needed to know is if the fight was going to happen or not. I’m told it’s on. We anticipate he’ll be here at 1 p.m.”
Chicago’s Molina (22-5-2, 6 KOs) won the International Boxing Federation belt in September with a split-decision victory over Ishe Smith.
Another promotional official close to the situation but not authorized to discuss it publicly said the fact Molina was not released earlier Thursday morning would likely force the bout’s cancellation.
“We’re gathering the information,” Golden Boy Promotions matchmaker Eric Gomez said. “For now, everything’s the same. We’re hearing it will be handled and be fine.”
Gomez said he also received assurances from Margules that the fight will take place.
For the record: A photo that orginally accompanied this report was of Norwalk boxer Carlos Molina, who last fought Amir Khan at the Los Angeles Sports Arena in December 2012.Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times