* at Cleveland 4, Detroit 2: C.C. Sabathia (18-7) set a career high for wins in helping the Indians sweep the Tigers to reduce their magic number for clinching the AL Central to three.
* at New York 2, Baltimore 1: Andy Pettitte (14-8) earned his 200th win, Mariano Rivera escaped a bases-loaded jam in the ninth and the Yankees pulled to within 1 1/2 games of Boston.
* Seattle 9, at Oakland 5: Felix Hernandez (13-7) won his third straight decision and Yuniesky Betancourt drove in three runs as the Mariners completed a three-game sweep of the A’s.
* Chicago 7, at Kansas City 0: Jim Thome hit two home runs and Jose Contreras (10-16) threw a five-hitter in beating AL rookie-of-the-year candidate Brian Bannister.
* at Minnesota 4, Texas 2: Matt Garza (4-6) recovered from a leadoff homer to win his first start at home in 12 tries to send the Rangers to their third straight losing season.
* at Toronto 6, Boston 1: Jesse Litsch (6-9) won for the first time in five starts and Jeremy Accardo earned his 28th save in 33 opportunities in completing a sweep of the Red Sox.
* at Angels, 2, Tampa Bay 1: The Angels won the season series, 6-2, and improved to 29-7 at home against the Devil Rays since 2000.