Total time: 25 minutes
4 ( 1/4- to 1/3-pound) salmon fillets, skin on but pin bones removed
1 to 2 tablespoons oil
6 very small portabello mushrooms (about 1/4 pound)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons butter
3/4pound pea sprouts (if very large, cut in 2-inch lengths)
2 1/2teaspoons freshly grated
Squeeze of lemon juice
1. Prepare the salmon fillet for sautéing by drying out the skin. Using the back of a knife, rub the skin side of the salmon gently but firmly back and forth as you would squeegee a window. You will see moisture come up out of the skin; some will collect on the knife. Wipe the skin and the blade dry and repeat until no more moisture appears. Season the flesh side with salt and set aside skin side up.
2. Heat a large, heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil; when it's hot enough to sizzle, add the salmon, skin side down. Press lightly with a spatula to make sure all of the skin is flat against the pan. Reduce the heat to medium.
3. As the salmon cooks, you will see the color of the meat change from orange to pink, progressing from bottom to top. Cook until the color change has climbed one-third of the way up the fillet, about 4 minutes. Turn the salmon over and remove the pan from the heat to allow the salmon to finish cooking. Season the skin side lightly with salt.
4. While the salmon is cooking, cut the mushrooms in quarters. After you've removed the salmon from the pan, pour off most of the oil, add the mushrooms and cook until lightly golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the butter, the pea shoots and ginger and cook, stirring constantly, until the shoots just begin to wilt, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in a generous squeeze of lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
5. Divide the pea shoots and mushrooms evenly among 4 warmed pasta plates and arrange in a low mound. Place a salmon fillet in the center of each, skin side up, and serve immediately.
Each serving: 480 calories; 38 grams protein; 26 grams carbohydrates; 4 grams fiber; 28 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 104 mg. cholesterol; 108 mg. sodium.