Ten people died Friday when two explosions shattered a Nairobi market, even as hundreds of British tourists were evacuating the country because of warnings of an increased terror threat.
Kenya's National Disaster Operation Center said 76 people were injured in the blasts at Gikomba market, near Nairobi's Eastleigh neighborhood, a district populated mainly by Somalis and Kenyans of Somali origin.
The Interior Ministry said one blast occurred in a commuter mini-bus and the second exploded inside the market. The explosions were simultaneous, said police, who arrested a suspect reportedly accused of involvement by onlookers.
The Kenyatta National Hospital and Kenyan Red Cross tweeted calls for blood donations.
Suspicions fell on Al Qaeda-linked Somali militants of Al Shabab, who are active in Kenya and were responsible for last year's devastating attack on a Nairobi shopping mall. The group has vowed to continue attacks in Kenya, whose military is serving in Somalia as part of an African Union force that has driven Al Shabab from its major strongholds.
Kenya's government reacted angrily to the travel warnings, describing them as "unfriendly" and insisting tourists were safe in Kenya. President Uhuru Kenyatta showed his anger at the warnings, saying they only strengthened the will of terrorists.
Grenades have been hurled at nightclubs, bars and bus stations. In March, police discovered a powerful car bomb in Mombasa, suggesting the sophistication of terror attacks in Kenya might be growing.
Al Shabab bombings and attacks in Somalia also persist.
Kenyan security forces have targeted Eastleigh for repeated security sweeps and launched a crackdown in April, raiding shops and houses and rounding up thousands of Somalis. Hundreds were identified for deportation and others were shipped to remote camps.
Critics accuse security forces of targeting people based on ethnicity.
"Kenyan authorities should immediately end ongoing harassment, arbitrary detentions, forced relocations to refugee camps and summary deportations in a roundup operation that has affected both foreigners and Kenyan citizens," Human Rights Watch said in a statement Tuesday. It said the raids did not improve security in Kenya.