Otis and a partner purchased the entire Times and Mirror properties in 1884 and incorporated them as the Times-Mirror Company. Two years later, Otis purchased his partner's interest in the company.
In October 1886, the word "Daily" was removed from the title and the newspaper became the Los Angeles Times.
As the city grew, so did The Times. However, competition among local newspapers was fierce, and it was not until the mid-1940s that The Times became the leading newspaper in Los Angeles. Today, The Times is the largest metropolitan newspaper in the country.
In June 2000, The Times became a Tribune Publishing newspaper when Tribune Company acquired Times Mirror, former parent of the Los Angeles Times.
Go to: 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001
February 1, 1873 Mirror Printing Office and Book Bindery begins printing the Weekly Mirror, an advertising sheet published by Jesse Yarnell, T.J. Caystile and S.J. Mathes.
December 4, 1881 Nathan Cole, Jr. and Thomas Gardiner start the Los Angeles Daily Times, which is printed by the Mirror Printing Office. It is published daily except Mondays. A.W. Francisco, a long-time friend of Harrison Gray Otis, is a silent partner.
The Times' first home is a small brick building located at Temple and New High streets in downtown Los Angeles.
July 28, 1882 A business announcement in the newspaper states that, effective August 1, Colonel Harrison Gray Otis "will become a member of the firm, with editorial oversight of the Daily Times and Weekly Mirror."
October 1884 The Times-Mirror Company is incorporated. Otis buys the holdings of Jesse Yarnell and A.W. Francisco; Colonel H.H. Boyce buys the interest of S.J. Mathes.
February 14, 1887 The Los Angeles Times begins publishing on Mondays, making it a true daily.
October 1, 1910 The Times Building at First and Broadway is dynamited by union terrorists, killing 20 employees and destroying the building.
October 1, 1911 The cornerstone is laid for the third Times Building built on the site of the second Times Building at First and Broadway. (The second building was originally a Times branch office at 531 South Spring Street.)
November 25, 1916 Harrison Gray Otis donates his home near McArthur Park to Los Angeles County for use as an art school. It later becomes the Otis Art Institute.
July 31, 1917 Harrison Gray Otis dies. Harry Chandler, his son-in-law, becomes the second publisher of The Times.
April 14, 1922 The Times establishes KHJ, the first commercial radio station in Los Angeles County. The station is sold in November 1927.
September 14, 1936 Norman Chandler, Harry Chandler's son, becomes Times general manager. In February 1941, he adds the title of president.
May 1942 The Times wins its first Pulitzer Prize - a Gold Medal for Public Service - for "its successful first amendment rights campaign which resulted in the clarification and confirmation for all American newspapers of the right of free press as guaranteed under the Constitution."