The Los Angeles Drama Critics Circle has announced its award nominations for 2013, and leading the pack are the recent revivals of the musicals "Dreamgirls" by the DOMA Theatre Co. and "The Fantasticks" at South Coast Repertory, with six nominations each, followed by the play "The Nether," produced by Center Theatre Group, with five nominations.
This year's awards are scheduled to be handed out March 17 at a ceremony at the Colony Theatre in Burbank. The annual awards recognize achievements in theater in Los Angeles, Orange and Ventura counties.
Notable nominees this year include Mary Bridget Davies in "One Night With Janis Joplin," which is currently running on Broadway; Dana Delany in Beau Willimon's "The Parisian Woman" at South Coast Repertory; and "MADtv" alum Nicole Parker for "Funny Girl," produced in Fullerton by 3D Theatrical.
The L.A. Drama Critics Circle is comprised of theater reviewers from various local publications, including Margaret Gray and David C. Nichols, who write for The Times.
Among this year's special honorees will be L.A. Theatre Works, which for many years has produced audio recordings of classic and contemporary plays; playwright Kemp Powers for "One Night in Miami," and stage director Bart DeLorenzo.
Here's a partial list of this year's nominations. (The full list can be viewed here.)
• "A Family Thing," Chris Fields and Lauren Bass, the Echo Theater Company at Stage 52
• "One Night in Miami," John Perrin Flynn and Roxanne Hart, Rogue Machine Theatre
• "Our Class," Son of Semele Ensemble, Atwater Village Theatre
• "The Nether," Center Theatre Group, Kirk Douglas Theatre
• "The Scottsboro Boys," Center Theatre Group, Ahmanson Theatre
• "Walking the Tightrope," Debbie Devine and Jay McAdams, 24th Street Theatre
• "We Are Proud to Present a Presentation About the Herero of Namibia, Formerly Known as Southwest Africa, From the German Sudwestafrika, Between the Years 1884-1915," Joseph Stern and The Matrix Theatre Company, The Matrix Theatre
McCulloh Award for Revival
• "A View From the Bridge," Valerie Havey, Julianne Figueroa, Sara Newman-Martins, Robert Cannon, and Marilyn Fox, Pacific Resident Theatre
• "Dreamgirls," Mike Abramson and Dolf Ramos, DOMA Theatre Co. at The MET Theatre
• "The Fantasticks," South Coast Repertory
• "The Normal Heart," Deborah Lawlor and Stephen Sachs, The Fountain Theatre
• Tony Abatemarco, "Red," International City Theatre
• Gigi Bermingham, "Master Class," International City Theatre
• Tim Cummings, "The Normal Heart," The Fountain Theatre
• Mary Bridget Davies, "One Night With Janis Joplin," Pasadena Playhouse
• Dana Delany, "The Parisian Woman," South Coast Repertory
• Constance Jewell Lopez, "Dreamgirls," DOMA Theatre Co. at The MET Theatre
• Perry Ojeda, "The Fantasticks," South Coast Repertory
• Nicole Parker, "Funny Girl," 3D Theatricals at Plummer Auditorium
• Jeff Skowron, "Parade," 3D Theatricals at Plummer Auditorium
• Paige Lindsey White, "Walking the Tightrope," 24th Street Theatre
• Michael Yavnieli, "Years to the Day," Skylight Theatre Company at Beverly Hills Playhouse
• Johnna Adams, "Gidions Knot," Furious Theatre Company at Carrie Hamilton Theatre at Pasadena Playhouse
• Allen Barton, "Years to the Day," Skylight Theatre Company at Beverly Hills Playhouse
• Stephen Adly Guirgis, "The M--- With the Hat," South Coast Repertory
• Jennifer Haley, "The Nether," Kirk Douglas Theatre
[Updated]: A previous version of this post erroneously listed the award ceremony date as March 14. It is in fact March 17. Actress Dana Delany's name was also rendered incorrectly.
ALSO:Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times