Dish Network scored another legal win for the AutoHop, its commercial-skipping device that the broadcast networks have been trying to shut down.
On Wednesday, New York federal judge Laura Taylor Swain denied ABC's request for a preliminary injunction to stop the satellite broadcaster from offering the AutoHop to its customers. The broadcast networks -- ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox -- claim that the AutoHop violates their copyright.
This is the second time the networks struck out with a preliminary injunction request regarding the AutoHop has been denied. Last year, a Los Angeles federal judge dismissed Fox's request.
"This decision is yet another victory for American consumers, and we are proud to have stood by their side in this important fight over the fundamental rights of consumer choice and control," said R. Stanton Dodge, Dish's executive vice president and general counsel.
Though Dish beat ABC, it lost a fight with CBS related to the AutoHop. Judge Swain said CBS can continue with its fraudulent concealment claim against Dish. CBS charged in a suit that Dish hid its plans for the AutoHop from the broadcaster when the two companies negotiated a 2011 distribution agreement. CBS now wants to void that contract.
Follow Joe Flint on Twitter @JBFlint.