Advertisement

Bryan Singer will not participate in upcoming 'X-Men' media events

Bryan Singer will not participate in upcoming 'X-Men' media events
Director Bryan Singer on the set of "X-Men: Days of Future Past." (Alan Markfield / 20th Century Fox)

Bryan Singer, the director accused of sexually abusing a teenage boy in the late 1990s, said on Thursday he will not participate in media events to promote his upcoming film "X-Men: Days of Future Past." 

Breaking his silence since the complaint against him was filed by Michael Egan last week, Singer, in an emailed statement, called the lawsuit "a sick twisted shake down."

Advertisement

Plaintiff Egan claimed in his federal lawsuit filed in Hawaii that he was forced into a "sordid sex ring" in the entertainment industry in which underage boys were supplied alcohol and drugs. Egan alleges that the assaults took place at parties in California and Hawaii when he was 17.

In a statement, Singer denied the allegations, calling them "outrageous, vicious and completely false."

Advertisement

The $200-million sequel "X-Men: Days of Future Past" opens in U.S. theaters May 23. Singer said in the statement he does not want the "fictitious claims to divert ANY attention from the movie.

"This fantastic film is a labor of love and one of the greatest experiences of my career," he said. "So, out of respect to all of the extraordinary contributions from the incredibly talented actors and crew involved, I've decided not to participate in the upcoming media events for the film."

Singer added, "I promise when this situation is over, the facts will show this to be the sick twisted shake down it is. I want to thank fans, friends and family for all their amazing and overwhelming support."

Advertisement

ALSO:

Twitter: @rfaughnder

Advertisement
Advertisement