When we heard One Direction’s new single was called “Best Song Ever,” we were skeptical.
The title alone is admittedly too lofty a dream for a pack of young lads -- no matter how adorable they are.
But the lead track from their upcoming album – the boys are taking a page from Rihanna and releasing a fresh album this year (their third in three years) – is as inoffensive as any 1D song: a catchy, feel-good pop tune with enough rock tinges to swallow the thousands of screaming tween girls that will fill arenas to see them.
“Best Song Ever”? We’ll likely forget it by tomorrow, but helping their cause is the mini-movie of a music video the boys issued for the single.
The clip has already racked up more than 9.3 million views since it was uploaded Monday. Why? Because it's sort of brilliant.
Set in a nondescript Hollywood studio, the boys are being pitched a movie (they just so happen to have one coming out soon) and are being walked through some slight marketing changes on making them a better sell from a handful of industry archetypes – which the boys all play themselves.
Here are five things we learned about One Direction while watching the clip:
1. Zayn looks amazing in drag. Probably the only boybander who could easily cut it on “RuPaul's Drag Race.” Fierce, honey.
2. Louis pulls off a rather impressive impersonation of Tom Cruise’s seedy Les Grossman character from “Tropic Thunder.” It’s so seamless I had to pause the video and do a Google search to make sure Cruise wasn’t doing videos now.
3. Unlike their cookie-cutter predecessors, the members of One Direction remain quite horrific dancers.
4. Thanks to his ability to channel a saucy choreographer, Liam should be the new favorite. Sorry, Harry.
5. Realizing there is still one member you can’t identify.
“Best Song Ever”? That’s debatable, but certainly a darn good video. Watch it below:
Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times