In a post on its website Tuesday evening, Rolling Stone said writer Janet Reitman had spent two months interviewing "dozens of sources -- childhood and high school friends, teachers, neighbors and law enforcement agents, many of whom spoke for the first time about the case -- to deliver" her story, reportedly due to hit newsstands Friday.
Yet some critics are saying that the photo of Tsarnaev -- a so-called selfie that's been used previously by other media outlets, including the
"Rolling Stone is suppose[d] to be about music not giving glory to someone who injured and killed innocent people for no reason," wrote one commenter on the magazine's website, while another said, "Cancel my subscription." On Facebook, a post describing Reitman's article had attracted almost 12,000 comments by mid-morning Wednesday.
Higher-profile people are playing pundit, too.
Late Tuesday, Albert Brooks tweeted, "Maybe I'm old fashioned but putting the Boston bomber on the cover of Rolling Stone is a terrible idea."
And country star John Rich said on