These flavorful little cakes from Tender Greens are packed with fresh citrus flavor and the olive oil gives them an almost savory richness. It's no wonder they've been one of our reader favorites since the recipe first ran a couple of years ago.
TENDER GREENS' CITRUS OLIVE OIL CAKE
Total time: 45 minutes, plus cooling time | Makes about 1 1/2 dozen cakes
Note: Adapted from Tender Greens pastry chef Annette Picha. It will taste even better the next day, as the zest infuses further into the cake.
2 eggs at room temperature
About 1 1/2 cups (11 ounces) sugar
1 cup whole milk
1 cup good quality olive oil
Zest of 2 oranges, or citrus fruits of your choice, plus more for garnish
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tins.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the eggs and sugar together until pale and thick, about 4 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, olive oil and citrus zest. With the mixer running, slowly add to the egg mixture, scraping the bowl down once while mixing to make sure all of the ingredients are incorporated.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Over low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture, scraping down the bowl once again while mixing to make sure the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
5. Spoon the batter into the lightly greased muffin tins, filling each cup about three-fourths of the way full. Bake the cakes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18 to 24 minutes, rotating the muffin tins halfway through baking for even heating.
6. Cool the cakes completely, then dust lightly with powdered sugar and sprinkle over extra citrus zest before serving.
Each of 18 servings: Calories 241; Protein 4 grams; Carbohydrates 26 grams; Fiber 0; Fat 14 grams; Saturated fat 2 grams; Cholesterol 63 mg; Sugar 18 grams; Sodium 87 mg.
Love cooking as much as I do? Follow me @noellecarter