Total time: 2 hours, 20 minutes, plus overnight standing time
Note: From Andrea Tamburini of Tower Bar and the Terrace in the Sunset Tower Hotel. Start the confit the day before, or purchased duck confit can be used. For the Dijon crème fraîche, mix 4 tablespoons of crème fraîche with 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard; refrigerate until ready to use.
Duck leg confit
3 duck legs
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 to 3 cups duck fat
1. Salt the duck legs with about one-half teaspoon salt for each leg. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. Rinse the duck legs with cold water and pat them dry.
3. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large ovenproof pot, bring to a simmer over medium heat enough duck fat to cover the legs. Once the fat has come to a simmer, place the legs in the pot. Cover and cook in the oven for about 2 hours.
4. Allow the duck legs to cool in the fat. Using tongs, remove the duck legs from the pan. Remove the skin and pull the meat from the legs.
Duck burgers and assembly
1 recipe duck leg confit
1 3/4 pounds ground (skinless) duck breast
2 teaspoons finely minced red onion
1 teaspoon chopped chives
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 good-quality hamburger buns
4 slices heirloom tomato
1/2 head butter lettuce
2 tablespoons butter
4 organic eggs
1. In a large bowl, mix the duck confit with the ground duck breasts. Mix in the red onion, chives, freshly ground white pepper, olive oil, egg yolk and salt.
2. Form four patties, about 7 to 8 ounces each. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
3. In a very hot sauté pan, sear the patties for about 1 minute on each side and finish in the oven for 4 to 6 minutes, until medium rare.
4. Wipe clean the sauté pan and grill the buns until they are just crisp.
5. Place each burger on a crisp bun, and top with a slice of heirloom tomato and a couple leaves of butter lettuce.
6. In the sauté pan, heat the butter over medium-high heat for a few minutes. Fry the eggs — sunny side up — for about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, until the egg whites have solidified and set.
7. Place an egg on top of each burger. Serve open face with a drizzle of Dijon crème fraîche.
Each serving: 619 calories; 67 grams protein; 23 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 27 grams fat; 10 grams saturated fat; 490 mg. cholesterol; 978 mg. sodium.