Faux sufganiyot with chocolate-espresso sauce and pistachios
Total time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
Servings: Makes 1 1/2 to 2 dozen
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose white flour
1 cup water, plus 3 tablespoons water, divided
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar, preferably superfine
4 large eggs
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
1 tablespoon prepared espresso or strong coffee
1/3 cup finely chopped toasted pistachio nuts
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Sift the pastry and all-purpose flours into a small bowl.
3. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup water, one-half cup butter, salt and sugar to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring once or twice till the butter is melted.
4. Mix in the flour mixture all at once with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat and stir vigorously until all of the liquid is absorbed and the mixture is uniform and leaves the sides of the saucepan. Remove from heat and set aside to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Transfer the mixture to the bowl of a standing electric mixer, and beat in the eggs one at a time, making sure each is fully incorporated before adding the next. Continue beating for two minutes after adding the last egg. The mixture should be smooth and shiny.
6. Dip a tablespoon in warm water, and scoop up a tablespoon of the mixture. Wet a finger to help spoon the mixture on the baking tray. Repeat with the rest of the mixture, leaving 2 inches of space between each.
7. Bake for 10 minutes. Increase heat to 425 degrees and continue baking for until crisp and a rich golden color, about 15 to 20 minutes. Turn off the oven. Pierce the bottom of each pastry and turn it over on the baking tray with the hole facing up. Return to the oven for 5 minutes to allow steam to escape.
8. Before serving, prepare the sauce: Combine the chocolate, coffee, remaining butter and water in a bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Stir until the chocolate melts to form a smooth sauce. Dip the pastries into the chocolate sauce, then sprinkle over the chopped pistachio nuts. Serve warm or cold.
Each of 24 sufganiyot: 123 calories; 3 grams protein; 10 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram fiber; 9 grams fat; 5 grams saturated fat; 47 mg cholesterol; 4 grams sugar; 25 mg sodium.