Claremont McKenna student may have died 'huffing' nitrous oxide

Authorities are investigating the death of a Claremont McKenna student who died early Friday morning after apparently "huffing," or inhaling, laughing gas, officials said.

Claremont Police received a call around 12:55 a.m. Friday about an unconscious male who had been inhaling nitrous oxide, according to Lt. Shelly Vanderveen.

Officers, and later paramedics, responded to Berger Hall and attempted to revive the student before transferring him to a local hospital, Vanderveen said. He was pronounced dead at the hospital Friday morning.

Los Angeles County coroner’s office spokesman Ed Winter identified the student as 19-year-old Ali Wallace Mirza of Connecticut. Winter said Mirza’s official cause of death would be determined by an autopsy, which would take weeks to complete.

A school spokesman confirmed the death of a student on Friday, but did not immediately provide additional details.

ALSO:

17 bodies removed from California funeral home

Robbers arrested after pocket-dialing 911 during crime, police say

Mummified monkey, elephant meat and reptile purses seized at LAX

twitter.com/MattStevensLAT 

matt.stevens@latimes.com

Copyright © 2017, Los Angeles Times
EDITION: California | U.S. & World
80°