One construction worker was electrocuted and another critically injured while working at Mission Viejo High School in southern Orange County.
The workers were trying to erect a banner for an upcoming football game in honor of veterans, said Jeff Starr, director of business services at Saddleback Valley Unified School District.
One worker was climbing scaffolding next to a sound wall near the school's practice football field when he came into contact with an electrical line and was electrocuted, said Orange County Fire Capt. Steve Concialdi.
The second worker, who had rushed to help him and had started CPR, also suffered an electrical shock, Concialdi said.
Both men were taken to nearby Mission Hospital, where the first was pronounced dead.
The second is listed in critical condition.
The men have not been identified but were in their early 20s, Concialdi said.