A detention hearing for a 16-year-old Menifee boy suspected of killing his younger half brother was continued until Sept. 17.
The suspect, whom The Times is not identifying because he is a minor, will remain in custody until the hearing, said John Hall, spokesman for the Riverside County District Attorney’s office.
A judge in Juvenile court said Monday the suspect had a history of violent outbursts, and the judge postponed the hearing at the request of defense attorneys.
Bail cannot be posted in juvenile cases, Hall said.
The hearing was intended to determine whether the juvenile should remain in custody, Hall said.
During the proceedings, the probation department requested a psychological evaluation, but the defense objected, and the judge agreed it was inappropriate at this time, Hall said.
A “707 hearing” will be held on a date following the continued detention hearing to determine whether the suspect should be tried as a juvenile or an adult.
The body of the missing boy, Terry Smith Jr., was first found last Wednesday in a shallow grave on the Menifee property where he lived. He had been missing for several days.
His half brother was charged with murder Friday.